Chalmers Church of Scotland


Interiors within the Protestant Church of Scotland are usually plain, even austere. Chalmers Church of Scotland in Port Seton is anything but. Built in 1904 in the fishing and coal mining community of Port Seton, it has become known as the 'fishermen's church' because of the elaborate stencilling of fish and waves of the sea throughout the interior, and because of the shape of the building which resembles the hull of a boat.

I discover again the limitations of my photography skills. Taking shots of the interior of the church in artificial light at the end of a dark November afternoon was a challenge too far, but I was kindly given permission to take some photos so I persevered. The shot above towards the Chancel shows some of the original fish stencilling. Apart from the local fishing connection it refers to the secret sign used by early Christians during the times of persecution. The fishing boat has no religous significance, but is a reminder of the fishing community who worshipped here.


The steps leading up to the pulpit have on one side this carving of fishermen hauling in their nets. The men each have a different expression - I'd guess they were very different characters. They remind me of the little Vikings Oliver Postgate created for his Noggin the Nog sagas. Of course as Scottish east coast fishermen they're probably in direct lineage from the Vikings.

I took other photos, but they really didn't come out. Nor did photos of the exterior, as I was buffeted by a gale force wind and driving rain.

Our daughter was part of a clarsach and song recital in the church, along with her teacher and another student. After the recital tea and home baking were laid on in the church hall, with tables set with the Women's Guild china and tartan napkins and ribbons in honour of St Andrew's Day. I longed to take a photo of the festive tables, but it wouldn't have been appropriate (i.e. people would have thought I was weird, and more importantly our daughter would have been mortified). But I did catch this shot of an embroidery made by the Guild for the centenary of the church. The strip lights in the hallway don't enhance it, but if you can ignore these it's a lovely interpretation of church life, with all the youth organisations to the right of the church building. The burning bush on the left is the symbol of the Church of Scotland.

Comments

  1. The wooden sculpture is beautiful !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous church! I envy you the opportunities you have to go out and see such amazing pieces of architecture and history. I would love to know that I could just go do so at anytime.
    Have a wonderful weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like seeing all that decoration. You are so fortunate to be able to see such history. The carving is marvelous. I could say they were fishers of men, but you are right, it looks like a symbol for the fishermen. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The blue window is so beautiful, really nice composition in the 1st shot. I like the repeated fish stencil in the embroidery, which is just a marvel. It is so large, so well executed and very charming.
    Congratulations to your daughter for participating in the recital. You must be beaming with pride.
    PS - seems like you are getting a larger photo when I click on them. Sorry about not sending the info on how I post yet, I still will.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I especially love the carving, fascinating stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for showing us some of the wonderful details inside this church. That wood carving of the fishermen could, as well as being a tribute to the local people, also be illustrating an interesting little vignette from the Bible - John 21:3-6.

    I love that fishing boat on the beam above the fish stencils too! Some of the disciples were fishermen...it all seems to fit together!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Low light photography....always challenging! I love touring churches....this one is very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very interesting Linda. I love the colour of the little church and the carving is wonderful. I wonder if the men in the carving were bases on real people. I love the home baking and tea that the WI and Womans Guilds put on at events like yours, they always serve delicious cake. Pity you couldn't get a picture, but I understand why.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another unknown gem! I love the look of this - as you say it is unusual for the Kirk to be so ornate. Wonder if John Bellamy went ot Sunday School here?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for posting these. I love to see photos and/or hear about old churches.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Larry and Sara are right - the little fishermen are from John's Gospel, denoting evangelism. The carving at the other side of the pulpit steps is of a raven plucking feathers from her breast to keep her young warm - meant to remind the minister of the need to look after the welfare of his flock.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I followed your link from Dancing Beastie's blog. And even though I'm late to the party, I wanted to say thank you for this lovely little post. What a beautiful place, and it must have been more beautiful still with your daughter's clarsach playing.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts