Community Festive


Edinburgh is in full grip of commercial Christmas.  The city centre is a-twinkle with every permutation of festive lights you can think of, from tasteful silvery trees to flashing neon of the the Star Flyer.  It's all a bit much for me.  Lovely though it is to have the town full of visitors, what I need in midwinter are darkness, silence and stillness.  There's a common perception that those of us who live with long Northern winters have a craving for as much artificial light as possible.  I find the reverse is true.  I need to embrace the darkness rather than push it away.

Away from the city centre, Christmas breaks free from the Winter Wonderland formula.  On my walk to work I pass this tiny community garden.  Rudolph has an endearing squint, and a rather...interesting neck.  The Christmas tree is a joyful riot of stockings and bird feeders, and the female Santa-cum-person-from-Frozen smiles at me every time I pass.  








On a standard-issue municipal planter beside the garden is a notice explaining what is probably the most truly Christmassy display in the city.
 



Comments

  1. It's fun to check out other people's Christmas decorations. You're right - the small planter with the note captures the true spirit of Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sign does restore one's faith in humanity!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see that there is a willingness to make/take donations where needed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have an interesting walk!!!
    I will always fondly remember our Christmas in Scotland in 2009!
    I was downtown Aberdeen on December 21st that year and it was DARK at 2:30 in the afternoon!!!
    I have a Christmas Card all ready to mail to you with a book mark using a watercolor the quads did.
    I HAD your address but I must have chewed it up!!! Could you please email it to me once more?
    lid1948@yahoo.com
    Merry Christmas! It's almost HERE!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've spent one christmas in Edinburgh. My oldest son was working there, and lived in Stockbridge. I loved the food, loved the market, and we all had a ball. Cro xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Christmas and a Peaceful Yuletide to you, in my favorite place in the world, from me, in NY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful! There is a tree in the park in Glasgow that seems to be decorated by passers-by. A nice tradition. Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts