Loch Muick spring visit



Our first visit to Loch Muick (pronounced 'mick') was in late summer of 2013.  Yes, mid-August in Scotland is late summer.  The heather was coming into bloom and the light was soft and hazy.  This year we spent a few days on Deeside just after Easter, and made a return visit on a day of hard, bright sun and a thin wind. 

There were still patches of snow on the hills, although none at the lower level of our walk.





The circuit of the loch is an easy 8 miles.  On the north side there's a broad track, which feels a bit like cheating, but was fine for me to get going again after being under par with the wretched pleurisy.  

We came across a fenced section, and stopped to read the lengthy notice.





Love the email address!

We saw no evidence of the browsing deer.  Apart from some birds of prey, our encounters with wildlife were of the miniature variety:  all along the side of the track on the uphill side were large pools of water full of frogspawn.  Pools below a certain size had no frogspawn - evidently the frog brain had calculated that they risked drying out too soon.



And every pool also had its sunbathing frog.  I couldn't decide if they were smug because of their large output of frogs-to-be (although the mortality rate must be huge), or smiling because they were basking in the sun after a very long winter. 



Overhead we kept seeing two planes flying in parallel, very high up.
They criss-crossed the sky from north to south and back again several times.  We put it down to a NATO exercise that we had heard about, but when I checked later I found that it wasn't due to start until the following week.  Rather spooky.



Here's a good solid holiday cottage - at least if you're Queen Victoria.  Called Glas-allt Shiel, it was her retreat from Balmoral Castle.




Towards the head of the loch there's a tantalizing route into the more remote Dubh Loch and its waterfalls.  We didn't have time to branch off, but we'll definitely explore further on a return visit.



Easter Island-like boulders litter the hillside.


A rare sighting of me on my blog, looking extremely happy to be outside and out of the city.  


What more perfect end to the day than a deep, candle-lit bath?



For my husband, who likes the stuff, some port.


And a comfortable four-poster bed with a view of red squirrels in the trees outside the window.


We stayed again at Glendavan House, which was just as lovely as before.  I think we're hooked - perhaps an autumn visit next time?

Comments

  1. So nice to see you! I must admit, this looks like my kind of perfect outing. And, a nice bath at the end of the day? Exceptional!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I prefer to hide behind the camera, Michelle!
      The bath was a real treat - we got rid of ours several in favour of a powerful shower. While I don't miss it at home it's nice to indulge when on holiday. Of course no sooner did we get rid of our bath than the children went away to university and complained about lack of a bath to have a nice long soak in when they came home.

      Delete
  2. Looks like a nice place to stay and a wonderful hike! Love the frog photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The frogs just looked so happy enjoying the sun - made me smile every time I saw one.

      Delete
  3. That's such a beautiful area - lovely photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots more to explore there, and I can't wait for our next visit.

      Delete
  4. Oh, Linda!!! I loved this post!!! What a treat! And that BATH looked so inviting. You could not have found a better place to end your perfect day!!
    It was GREAT to SEE you!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a bit camera-shy, Linda! The bath was gorgeous, and the scented candles were a perfect touch of luxury.

      Delete
  5. Such gorgeous photos! Scotland is so amazingly beautiful. Unfortunately we discovered that August weather in Scotland can be wet - very wet - last year :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh dear, I'm sorry about the wet weather you had on your trip. Not that I could do anything about it! Yes, August can be very wet. We often get floods then. Just to soften us up for winter.

      Delete
  6. Had a walk round Loch Muick for the first time last year, it was lovely. Hoping to do it again this year and spend some more time round Ballater, such a lovely place .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, Sharon, Ballater is lovely. I didn't expect to like it so much, but it's perfect. Have you eaten at the 'India on the Green' restaurant? The best Indian food ever!

      Delete
  7. What a gorgeous place to be hiking in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And the sunshine was just that extra touch of perfection. We were quite tanned afterwards - well, what passes for tanned on pale Scots at the end of the winter.

      Delete
  8. We've just come back from a long walk along the start of the West Highland Way. Scotland is just gorgeous! No four poster bed and port from a crystal decanter for us unfortunately. Lovely to see you btw. Loch Muick is on my list of places to visit. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to do the West Highland Way, Christina. Problem is, there are so many 'ways' and so little time! We are so spoiled for beautiful places in our small country.

      Delete
  9. That looks wonderful, Linda! And a perfect way to end the day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish I was back there now. Time to start planning the next escape from the city!

      Delete
  10. Mid-August is summer here in NY, as well. Perhaps you meant mid-April? Or is this a post from another year?

    Also: Port - it's wonderful! Port and that bath and those candles and a handsome husband? HEAVEN!

    Fab photos, as always. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I see your confusion, Marcheline. I've edited the post to make it clearer that our first visit was in mid August a couple of years ago, and this post is from this April.
    I would like to like port, but somehow it doesn't like me. Don't worry, I had some very nice red wine. Beside our own private open fire.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for taking us to Loch Muick; Beautiful pictures... and your story...lovely, it makes me want to visit this place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful walk you've had with so many beautiful sights. I love the views of the mountains and your happy, smiling frog. I really miss the mountains and the huge open spaces you get in Scotland. Let me know when you are down my way and hopefully if it's on one of my days off we could get together. All the best, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This brings back many happy memories of walking with the children around Loch Muick. We often went in the winter, when the deer are hungry and very bold, and come right up next to the car park. That little house of Queen V's was always a good thing to aim for on our walks, you can see it from nearly every part of the walk. Glendavon House looks fantastic. I have a real soft spot for Aboyne... sigh!

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a beautiful post! I can't decide which I like more: the wonderful wild Scottish scenery or the beautiful interior shots of your holiday house, especially the candlelit bath. Lovely to see a photo of you, too, looking very happy in such a stunning place.
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts