Appreciating Edinburgh


A busy time at home and work = lack of blogging.  And also, I have to admit, a certain fatigue with Edinburgh.  We've lived here for 30 years now, and if one has to live in a city it's a rather lovely one.  But still.  I'm in danger of taking it for granted/being bored by it/longing to escape.  One day we will escape, back to the north east, but for the moment our working lives are here and things are conspiring to prevent mini-escapes to hills or coast.

So I've given myself a mental shake and decided to appreciate Edinburgh.  What would I miss most, I asked myself, when we eventually move from the city?  After all, its Old and New Towns have UNESCO World Heritage status.  It has 12 festivals of culture throughout the year, with the peak in terms of volume coming with the International Festival and Festival Fringe in August.  And art galleries and museums and gardens and trams.  The answer, I was startled to discover, was...cafes.  I told myself to think again, but the answer came back even more firmly, and I realised it was true and that I was unapologetic about it.  Edinburgh has a blissful range of independent cafes, so that there's no need to darken the doors of a Starbucks or Costa. My nearest cafe corner is in the Canonmills area, beside the Water of Leith.  Canonmills was originally a small village, and got its name from the Augustinian canons of Holyrood Abbey who had a watermill here from the 12th century.  Jump forward several centuries and I present the Blue Bear cafe as top of my list for appreciating Edinburgh.

Photo credits are due to my daughter, who took these shots for me unasked.  And if you're very observant you'll notice from the Christmas tree that they were taken a while ago.  But at any time of year, what could be nicer than afternoon tea in these lovely flowery cups?
 


And some of the home baking.
 

What would you miss most about where you live at the moment, if you had to move?  I'd love to see a blog post about it!

As well as the Christmas tree, you may also notice I've added an Instagram button to my sidebar.  You'll find me at @occasionalscotland. I've been puddling around with Instagram for a bit, as much for my own interest as anything else.  I still have to get round to adding any tags to my posts so I'm obviously not in it to maximise my followers!  But I'm enjoying the immediacy of the thing, especially when my time for blogging is limited.  What about you - are you attracted by Instagram?  

Comments

  1. Oh my, those treats look to die for! A lovely looking place too.

    While we're inundated with Starbucks, Second Cup, Tim Horton's, and other coffee shops, it's possible to find independent ones with character. This one reminds me of a café here called the Blue Bird.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd love to see your Blue Bird cafe. There's one here just round the corner from the Blue Bear. I've never been in it, but perhaps I should embark on a cafe quest.

      Delete
  2. I can understand about living in the same place for too long. My kids both live in very interesting places compared to where I live. The dishes are beautiful and I believe they are some relative to the "Indian Tree" pattern in which I have just a few plates. We plan on moving in the next few years but we live in such a diverse country that could take us to many different kinds of climates.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like you have a hard decision to make, Larry. I know you suffer with the summer heat where you are just now - perhaps somewhere with cooler summers? But not too cool!

      Delete
  3. I've never been able to pinpoint what I love most about Toronto. Born & bred here, it is home. I'll have to give it a think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes do, I'd love to see what you come up with.

      Delete
  4. I admit that I watched a program about your lovely country, while I was cooking supper tonight. I long to visit there! We lived in a city for many years before moving to the small town/country life we live. What would I miss most? Likely the variety of ethnic food. We have farms/fresh produce, but must travel outside our norm for anything else. Enjoy while you can :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that's also something I would miss. You'll have to visit Scotland one day and see it for yourself - and experience our ethnic food.

      Delete
  5. Those look like great cafes. I can't stand Starbucks - it's overpriced and the food/drink are mediocre as far as I'm concerned, but these look like superior alternatives.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's ages since I've been in a Starbucks. As you say, there are superior alternatives. The problem of huge chains I suppose.

      Delete
  6. I'd love to visit Edinburgh! And I'm a fan of local coffee (or tea) shops. What would I miss about Oregon if I had to move? Everything! It's a beautiful part of the world. And I'm also on Instagram, and just started following you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You certainly seem to have everything Linda, including your beloved skiing and hiking. Am enjoying your Instagram!

      Delete
  7. So important to reflect on what is important to us where we live. Edinburgh is fab, I still miss living there. Yes, having fun on Instagram, (as you know!) but never a substitute for blogging I don't think X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're two very different things, I'm finding, which reassured me as I didn't want something that was going to just repeat what a blog offers.

      Delete
  8. I love little independent tea shops with home baking! I did move away from Greenock for a while and the things I missed most were the people, (so friendly) and the lovely views of the River Clyde.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If people make a place then it must be very special. That certainly can't be said of everywhere, no matter how lovely the architecture.

      Delete
  9. That photo of the cakes is making my mouth water! I feel the need to bake, your fault!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I see you have been baking - I'm sure your family isn't complaining!

      Delete
  10. As someone who spent a very brief time living in Edinburgh (3 months in Stockbridge post graduating - I worked at Laura Ashley in George Street) I can't believe that it's a city you would ever 'take for granted' but there you go. There's a comedy show on Radio 4 I heard the other day called 'Secrets and Lates' set in one of Edinburgh's cafes and I was thinking about how Edinburgh's always been known for its cafe culture. All the best, Judy.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great post! Thing I would miss most about Long Island? That's easy - the sea... and the fresh seafood!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We went to Edinburgh for the Fringe festival with the children for several years in a row and absolutely loved it there. I have many mementos from the lovely independent shops there and we loved the cafes too. We used to stay in a cottage in the 'colonies' in Leith and enjoyed the cafes in Grassmarket as well as some lovely church cafes. We also did the tourist thing of queuing for the Elephant House cafe, where J K Rowling wrote 'Harry Potter'. Reading your post has made me want to go back. Your cafe photos are very appetising!
    Cathy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's apparently a busker's festival coming to Edinburgh- one of the performers at ours mentioned going to Edinburgh next (though I see on her Facebook page that she needs a new passport). She does an act called Madame Guillotine- if she gets up there, I highly recommend it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts