Tour de force


It's that time again - the Tour de France.  I'm no cyclist, not having been on bike since my student days.  Back then I used to cycle to the tennis courts on summer evenings, and cycle out with friends on the quiet country roads around the village.  But over the past few years I've become besotted by the Tour de France, that epic 3 week unfolding drama. We holidayed in the Bordeaux area one year just before the Tour passed through, and it was evident in even the smallest of hamlets that something of the magnitude of a royal visit was about to happen.  Everything that could be was painted, swept, polished, renovated.  And unlike a royal visit, no-one would even stop - unless they fell off.  I started watching the race on TV.  At first it was the footage of France that drew me in.  Then gradually, almost without noticing, I began to pick up some of the technicalities.  And now it's a highlight of my year.

It's one thing to watch it from the comfort of the sofa, but almost unimaginably another to ride the actual route within the same timeframe, a week in advance of the Tour itself.  However that's what a friend is doing this year - riding the route for charity.  The Tour de Force takes riders on some or all of the stages of that year's Tour, raising money for the William Wates Memorial Trust to help the most disadvantaged young people keep away from a life of crime and violence and fulfill their potential.   Imagine riding the daily hell of the Tour without having chosen this as a career, without the corporate resource of the big cycling teams, without years of finely-tuned training programmes.  Have a look at Tony Does TDF and you'll see someone doing just that - and perhaps consider donating to the charity if you feel moved to.

You weren't going to get photo of me on a bike to illustrate this post, so I popped out from work to take some cycling-themed photos in the neighbourhood.  The last photo below is one of the bike stores for cycle commuters at the University of Edinburgh. 

And bon courage to Tony as he approaches the Alps!

 




Comments

  1. Good for your friend! I hope he has a successful ride!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finished up in Paris today. A huge achievement.

      Delete
  2. I too like watching the Tour. I have an old bike, but I haven't used it this year so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been at a Tour stage three times, all of them great experiences. It is because of the Tour that we have to holiday in a caravan with telly instead of a tent (which I personally prefer).... It rules our life in July. Hope you have been enjoying the stages so far. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, lucky you! Yes, July is le Tour. Thankfully still a week to go and then I start the countdown to next year.

      Delete
  4. My other half takes these 3 weeks as almost a holiday. He will be up at 6 am on Thursday to watch that day's really long and steep stage. It is rather exciting once you get into the strategy of the whole thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now that is dedication. We are lucky being on just about the same time. There's a good evening highlights programme at 7 every evening which everyone knows is sacred for me.

      Delete
  5. I was just explaining a blogger friend that my green bike looks good under the tree as a decoration. Our heat today is so high that a half block on a block would make one collapse. Good to see things coming from Scotland today.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Would love to see a photo of your decorative green bike, Larry!

      Delete
  6. That sounds like a very good cause.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They've raised about £1 million, which is fantastic.

      Delete
  7. I love watching le Tour!
    Of course, mostly I'm watching the aerial views, but as with you, I'm picking up the tips and technicalities and lingo.
    No, I cannot imagine the hell. Nor can I imagine why marathon runners do what they do. But good for them - it's obviously a passion, and I'm all for passion.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We obviously have the same entry point into appreciating cycling. But like you I'm not tempted to do it myself.

      Delete
  8. What a wonderful thing to do - Tour de Force!!!
    I have never watched Tour de France before.....or tennis or golf or any sport other than football - or synchronized swimming. But to see scenes from France.....why, that sounds lovely!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure tourism to France benefits from it.
      I used to watch the tennis at Wimbledon at this time of year, but I've transferred by allegiance to cycling. I can only cope with one sport at a time!

      Delete
  9. oh my husband is a cyclist and is desperate to go and see le Tour in real life - guess where we might be going with our wee campervan next year??? :O

    ReplyDelete
  10. Have fun watching! And good luck to your friend, what an undertaking! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is quite an amazing undertaking, especially when you see how the professionals suffer.

      Delete
  11. Good for Tony! What an accomplishment, on many levels.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts