The social history of gates
Confined to lower levels while at Loch Tay, we walked from Firbush to the village of Killin via Kinnell House. The entrance to the grounds from the south is through an imposing pillared gateway.
At either side of the pillars a stone stile is set into the wall.
Below, a closer view of the stile on the other side of the gateway.
The gateway nearer the house is topped by imposing lions rather than plain urns, and lacks stone stiles. Our theory, made up on the spot, was that the gateway with the stiles was for tradespeople and staff, who were likely to be on foot, whereas the lion-topped gateway was for the inhabitants of the house and their visitors.
Kinnell House contains 'fabric' dating back to around 1580, although most of the house was built in the 18th century. Just across the driveway is this prehistoric stone circle, far more mysterious than any mossy gateways.