The year turns


Christmas is being set up in Princes Street Gardens.  The first arrival in the week after Remembrance Day is always the big wheel, seen above half completed.  In the middle of the shot, if you can see it for the raindrops and what I now realise is a very grubby camera lens, is the dark bulk of the Scott Monument.  The gardens themselves and the monument form a dark oasis in the centre of the city.  I like it that the monument isn't illuminated, contrary to the fashion for lighting up trees, buildings and, in some places in Scotland, random bits of rock face.
 

The glow of the moon and the construction lights  in the shot above is added to by the illluminated facade of the Lloyds Banking Group headquarters.  Money v. Art?

Below, by Saturday the little cabins are being fixed to the wheel.  Every Princes Street photo now has the new feature of overhead tram cables.  No trams yet, but we have the cables and the rails. 
 

Comments

  1. You certainly know that Christmas is approaching when the wheel goes up!
    Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Makes me wonder what we ever did before the wheel. Arrive at Christmas Eve and discover in surprise that it's Christmas next day?

      Delete
  2. Christmas??? Already??? I'm not even close to ready!!! I don't start thinking about Christmas after our Thanksgiving in the end of November!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, at least you have the buffer of Thanksgiving. Or perhaps it doesn't feel like a buffer, with two major holidays so quickly one after the other.

      Delete
  3. Our Santa claus parade is on right now as I type and it marks the unofficial start of the Christmas season here. Love your night shots, Linda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked up the parade, and oh my goodness it's serious stuff! I hope it got all the runners it needed.

      Delete
  4. I still feel it to be a bit early for Christmas, but everything around me is being decorated!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's interesting that your city puts up a ferris wheel for Christmas. Oh, but I'm so not ready for Christmas yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. No Ferris Wheel can induce me to go out into the dark and cold. My instinct is to hunker down and wait for the light to return.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts