Techie stuff/moving on


Here's one of the techie things that I want to be able to do - not to have a white sky when focusing on something in the foreground. On this occasion I was so taken up by the combination of new camera (courtesy of my mother-in-law - thanks so much, Barbara!) and of my son deciding that the shot would be improved by his presence that I couldn't even think about what the background would look like. The thing is, numbers just escape me. If dyscalculia had been invented when I was at school I would have had it, in spades. I still remember the look of horror on my mother's face (she was a primary school teacher) when I told her that my IQ test had been easy and that I'd 'just' missed out all the questions with numbers. She obviously saw a future for me that consisted of sitting at the back of the class with raffia (any other British readers remember Thora Hird in 'Pat and Margaret'?). But I need to get to grips with numbers to do what I want with my camera. As always, I turn to a book for help. At the moment I'm thinking of getting 'Digital Photography for Dummies'. Any other suggestions?

When this photo was taken in early May it didn't seem all that poignant to me. The school chamber choir had just reprised their 'Jephte' at choral evensong in Dunfermline Abbey. Now, I realise that my son is about to leave behind all things to do with school, including school uniform. With a few days left of school, and that newfangled invention of 'study leave' having morphed into a few weeks of limbo before the end of term, the sight of him in uniform already belongs to the past.

Comments

  1. Sorry, I can't give you any help. My camera is just a point and shoot - that's about all I can handle. :-)
    That is some intricate gate and I like the pink building!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Linda, I so appreciate what you are saying. I was given this amazing Nikon years ago and it just overwhelmed me because of just that....the numbers. I was diagnosed with dyslexia in my late 30's which made everything fall into place.
    That same big camera created grief at my daughters graduation which was heartbreaking.
    Your photo is wonderful regardless of the colour of the sky. I love the colours and that gate and handsome young man completes a great photo.
    Blessings and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that is one strange looking gate. Like straight out of Tim Burton-movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've got a great shot! Sometimes, the sky is what it is but there is interesting things to be seen so cropping the sky is not an option.
    Your son looks very snazzy! Sigh about school days ending.
    My on-line photo class used Scott Kelby's Digital Photography book. Kelby is pretty funny & he (and many other pros) would just overlay a blue sky.
    The architecture is so interesting - kind of Gaudy-like.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently bought myself a posh Nikkon but I am also baffled by numbers and mostly use it on automatic, But anyway your photo is great and I love the gate and what a handsome chap your son is even in school uniform which I'm sure is very uncool

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really interest gate. Where is it?

    Tami

    PS...Your Son looks like he is really tall.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gaudy is the name I was looking for when I was trying to think what the gate reminded me of. Thanks Tash!
    I'll also investigate the book you mention.

    Interesting to see from comments that I'm not the only one to be challenged by camera settings.

    Tami, the gate is in Dunfermline, leading into the grounds of the abbey. I had a look for information about the gates, but haven't found anything yet. The abbey itself dates from 1128.

    Yes, my son is tall, but the curse of the numbers strikes again, because even tho I did what I normally do to the numbers in the html to enlarge the photo, it looks curiously elongated.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Update - elongation now sorted. I had typed 430 instead of 480 for the width. Did I mention dyscalculia?

    ReplyDelete
  9. If you've got time for it you might subscribe to a photography blog. Darren Rowse's Digital Photography School blog and forum seems to be popular. So far I'm sticking to doing close-up photos in my garden - I seem to be able to get that right.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Linda...Thanks for id'ing the gate. Fascinating construction.

    Tami

    PS..Off to check out the site Alison recomended!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don't think that the sky actually is a problem in the picture, either. But it is possible to import a sky from a sunnier day into your picture, using photoshop. Confess I don't know how, but my children have a wonderful picture of an elephant on their bedroom wall. It only gets problematic when they ask where Daddy took the picture: the answer is the elephant is in the Kruger National Park in South Africa, and the nice blue sky with little clouds is Botswana!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts