England Expects


When I took this photo on my way to work this morning I had no idea of its significance. But as fellow bloggers know, the photo urge is irresistible. A busy day then followed, and I put the flags out of my mind.

On the way home, I saw that that flags were fluttering in similar array on the Nelson Monument on Calton Hill.



I was on a bus, for once, and asked the person beside me if she had any idea why the flags were flying. She thought, and I agreed, that it was hardly likely to be an ironic commentary on the Defence Spending Review, which this week has announced cuts of 8% in funding for defence over four years.

Google to the rescue. Today is the anniversary of the Battle of Trafalgar, fought in 1805 between the Royal Navy and a Franco-Spanish fleet. At the start of the battle Admiral Lord Nelson signalled to the British fleet, 'England Expects That Every Man Will Do His Duty'. And that is the signal flying today, until sundown.

Comments

  1. I like the idea of sending messages by flags. Nice to keep the history alive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your post! Flags and the protocol of flying them are interesting! Texas is the only state that is allowed to flag its flag at the same height as the US flag.....because Texas was once it's own country!

    Great pic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm always curious when I see special flags as well! On another note, it looks like our weather situations matched today! It's been rather gloomy in Montreal as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Every man will do his duty". I like that and especially like that such an occasion is remembered in such a visual manner.

    ReplyDelete
  5. As a former U.S. Navy sailor, I learned a long time ago about the value of signal flags. Even though we have some amazing communications technology to help pass messages from ship to ship, I take a lot of comfort in knowing that we continue the tradition of using signal flags. Thanks for giving me a moment to remember my Navy heritage - it's a great way to start the day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. So he said to the BRITISH fleet: 'ENGLAND expects'. He wasn't very good at geography then.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently at that time England meant Britain. It still does today sometimes - but not if you're Scottish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, don't I know it! Exactly the point I was making. Every day in the radio and telly, somebody transgresses. I felt a bit bad about the aggro in my comment so I came back to see if anybody had queried what I was on about. They often just don't get it, do they?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts