Late harvest


Since mid August this field of oats has been standing ready to be cut, but the weather has been capricious. One day of sun, followed by one of rain - not enough drying time to allow the combine to start cutting. The field is right outside my father's house, and as a grain merchant (still doing some trading in his 80's) he's been keeping watch on its progress. At last this week there's been a spell of dry weather, and the combine worked through the night in the fields beside the River Spey.

I miss the harvest now, living in the city. Who needs TV when you can watch the grain change colour outside your door? Here's the same field in July.


Oats grow well in the cooler climate of upper Speyside. A whole lot of porridge in the fields.

Comments

  1. I miss the harvest, too. I think I miss the smells in the air more than anything, although that tint of yellow that grows and seems to burn with dying, that I love as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to see a cornfield with flowers, so many these days have none. I know what you mean about watching the corn change over the summer, our cottage is in the middle of a barley field and I love the changes. Just like at Rothes our farmer worked from 9pm last wednesday night until 2am to get the corn in. We now have the extra joy of being able to cut over thefield to the cliffs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the first shot with the flowers in the foreground. So pretty!p

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like those photos! It reminds me holidays .... :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I miss living in the country for just that reason...watching the crops grow and mature...you are so right...who needs TV when you live in the country.
    Beautiful photos rich in colour, growth and grain.
    Blessings and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you got to see the barley after all!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is hard to figure out all of the different climate zones of this world. My father grew oats on his Iowa farm and when they were sown it was early snowy spring. We sowed clover seed with it so after the oats were combined in late June early July, the clover would come up and be ready to mow and bale by August. I am learning so much about your country through your blog. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The first photo was so full of different plants that it was almost a fairytale.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That green is just so crisp and biteable! Hmm...aware that might sound a bit odd!

    ReplyDelete
  10. While the green in the July photo is lovely against the clouds and sky, I much prefer the ready-to-harvest shot.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts