Sowing - big time


Out for my early morning walk when we were visiting my Dad on Speyside a couple of weeks ago I came across plenty of farming activity. This monster was sowing carrots. The land on the river valley floor is rich and fertile, but it wasn't always so peaceful. A few hundred years ago (in 1296 to be exact), King Edward I of England, known as the 'Hammer of the Scots' because, well, he kept trying to conquer us, stayed the night in the castle on the hill. You can just see the only remaining wall between the modern houses and the trees on the skyline. His army bivouacked on the plain below - right about where the tractor is.

Now it's just spring ploughing and sowing.

Comments

  1. i love the first shot , nice spring scene and always intersting to learn the history through a landscape !

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't think where that castle is. I thought it was Castle Roy but there are no trees there. I would love to know so I can visit. I think your picture is great, you have again caught old and new in a lovely shot.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such bright pretty colors. They really stand out in the brown of the field.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comments. Chris, you probably don't recognise the castle because the shot is taken from a farm road leading up from the Spey. Unless you're really local you wouldn't pass that way as a matter of course. I'll post a few more photos over the coming days and see if you can guess!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Longshanks, eh? You have NO idea how much I hated him a few years back when I developed a compulsive disorder: reading everything I could lay my hands on about the wars of independence. Shortly after that I went on a pilgrimage to Bannockburn. My own little pilgrimage! I've been cured for years! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. this post reminds me of "swords into plowshares"

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts